Borrowing Books from Other University Libraries
Even if the University of Tsukuba Library does not hold the book you are looking for, you may still have a chance!
If the book is held by the library of other universities or organizations, you can have it delivered.
- Fee and time till delivery
- Delivery within Japan: the actual two-way transportation fee (\1,000-\1,500 per book) | Delivered in 1-2 weeks
- Delivery from overseas: the actual two-way transportation fee (not determined; several thousand to \10,000?) | Delivered in 1-3 months
- *For payments with the university expense, see “Home>Services (Library Guide)>Using Research Funds for Library Payments”
- Loan period: in accordance to the loaning entity’s policy
- Delivery within Japan: usually 3-4 weeks including delivery time
- Delivery from overseas: about 2 weeks
- Loaning conditions: in accordance to the supplying library’s policy
- Library materials hard to borrow: journals, rare books, reference books, large-sized books, books with traditional Japanese binding, very old books, new publications, easily purchasable books
- Due to the supplying library’s policy, there may be cases where the book can only be used within the University of Tsukuba Library, or the borrower cannot make photocopies of the book.
Step 1. Make sure the book is not held by the University of Tsukuba. (Check book information)
Search the book on Tulips Search. If you cannot find it, search again with [search condition: Add results beyond your library’s collection]
Search the book on University of Tsukuba Library’s OPAC. If you cannot find it, search again with [search condition: NACSIS catalog ]
Check the information of the book.
Step 2. Select application method
★Payment with private expense → “ Registration of Inter-Library loan online application (for private expense)” from “My Library” is required in advance.
★Payment with university expense → Budget registration and library web service registration are required in advance → See “Home>Services (Library Guide)>Using Research Funds for Library Payments”
Click “ILL Book” on Tulips Linker
Click "Loan" from OPAC search results.
Enter your user ID (13 digit) and password (no need if already logged in)
Fill in the application page
★Entering precise and detailed information will help you get the book faster.
- One application per book.
- For books that come in several volumes, apply separately by for each volume.
- If you have multiple Budget Registration Code(BRC)s , you must enter the BRC and password for the particular budget you wish to use.
- As a general rule, you cannot cancel after application.
Application complete! You will receive an e-mail confirmation.
★If you do not receive e-mail confirmation after 12 hours, the application may have failed.
Consult the library that holds the library material. (Central Library: at the Reference & ILL Section/Other libraries: at the counter) →Contact List
Apply at the Library
Fill in the Inter-Library Loan Application at the reference desk, and submit to the reference desk of each library.
Step 3. Receive the book at the reference desk
A notification will be sent to your registered e-mail address when the book is ready.
- Private expense: you will receive the book after paying the fee.
- University expense: you will receive the book after signing for the receipt.
Step 4. Return the book to the reference desk during the loan period
- Return the book to the reference desk where you applied.
* Since the book is not held by the University of Tsukuba Library, you cannot return it to the main counter or the book-drop.
- Be sure to return the book by the due date. (If overdue, you may be charged an express delivery fee.)